University Preparation in Canada
Our University Preparation Program is for students who will study for 24 weeks or more.
Taking the time to seriously focus on your English will open up unlimited opportunities for you. Your English level will greatly improve, broadening your horizons and giving you an advantage in your chosen career or education. On a more personal level, spending time learning English abroad will give you incredible experiences. You will challenge yourself, become more independent and make lasting international friendships.
You’ll get more out of this course if:
- Your level is between Beginner and Advanced.
- You want to enter university or star a masters degree.
- You want to give yourself a clear advantage in the workplace and increase your career possiblities.
What can you expect on this course?
- Take a placement test to determine your current level of English
- Join a class with others of the same level
- Meet your teachers, mentor and academic year co-ordinator
- Receive your language portfolio, tailored to your own personal needs, goals and motivation for learning
- Begina first-class English language course, to develop fluency, accuracy and appropriate uses of English across all four language skills
- Be provided with excellent guidance, monitoring and feedback throughout your course
- Receive continual assessment through class tutorials,homework and regular progress and level tests
- Have confidence that your learning is on track and you are fulfilling your English language potential
Leave with a qualification
You will also have the opportunity to prepare for and sit an internationally-recognized certification, such as IELTS, TOEFL, or one of the Cambridge ESOL exams. In addition, University Prep 30 students are awarded a Diploma at the end of their course, while 20/24 students receive a Certificate of Merit. The grade you are awarded will depend upon the quality of the work you have produced throughout your course.
Tutorials and support
You will receive three levels of support to ensure your time is as successful and rewarding as possible:
- Regular one-to-one meetings with your personal mentor, who will provide the academic support and advice you need to succeed. Your mentor will help to guide your learning by setting achievable long and short-term goals, and monitoring your progress throughout your course.
- Class tutorials, an additional, personalized layer to your classroom learning. Our teachers pride themselves on being helpful and approachable at all times, but these meetings provide you with a regular opportunity to discuss lesson items, review your private study, and receive specific advice from your class teacher. You will be set extra work to encourage you to address your weak areas, and a reading program will be set and monitored.
- Your academic coordinator is dedicated to serving your academic needs, and to ensuring you are reaching your learning objectives and developing to your full potential.
As well as all the tuition, personal guidance and support our University Prep students receive, the school also provides:
- General and nationality-specific pronunciation clinics
- P&M – Structured guidance to help with participation and motivation
- Café Chat – a relaxed forum for students to practice their spoken English in a social context
- Library stocked with books and other resources, for private study time, personal research and reflection
- Full calendar of social and leisure activities
Electives – Tailor Your Learning
Academic Year 30 students are also able to choose from a varied selection of electives for their 3rd module, and students will receive a certificate upon completion. Each elective is four weeks long and builds up to an assessed task or project. Choices include:
- Comparative Culture and Communication
- Write Now
- Basic Writing Skills
- Media Studies
- The Language of Music
- Film Studies
- A World of Words
- Get Talking
Personal Language Portfolio
At the beginning of your course, you will receive this unique study pack. With the guidance of your teachers, your Language Portfolio will help you to maximize your language development by:
- assessing your personal learning style and offering strategies to build on your strengths
- evaluating your progress in tests and assignments
- recording your needs and wants as a learner, alongside the skills, experiences and achievements you have gained whilst on the program